Question
Posted by: Anel | 2009/10/15

Bunion

I' ve searched the archives and was surprised when I didn' t find any posts on Bunions, maybe I miss-looked..

I have bunions on both my feet, not only are they painful at times, but they look terrible. I' ve had them since I was about 8 years old. I wanted to go for surgery when I was younger, but was told by the doctor I had to wait until I was 18. I' m 24 now and still haven' t gone, firstly because it is apparently a very painful procedure and secondly I couldn' t afford to take 6 weeks off work..

As a young woman, I can' t wear pretty shoes, as they are too uncomfortable. I can' t even wear flops, because it shows how ugly these bunions are! It is such a mission to find any shoes!

Now I' m getting married in April ' 10 and I' m seriously considering the operation.

My questions are:
1. if I do go for the op, how long will it take for the scars to heal?
2. will I be able to wear short heels on my wedding day?
3. how long will I be out of action if I do both feet at once?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Anel
Bunion surgery would be done by an orthopaedic surgeon, not a podiatrist. I'm afraid i can't give you accurate answers to your questions.

Chris

2
Posted by: Same boat | 2009/11/09

Hi Anel

I empathise with you as i suffer from the same prob. I posted a question here some time ago and i received a response from a reader saying that it would nt be advisable to go thru with the op, it is extremely painful and takes a long time to heal if ever. My mom gave me the same advice. I am also 24yrs old and hate shopping for shoes especially in summer. Anyway..Good Luck with the wedding!! :)

Reply to Same boat
Posted by: Foot expert | 2009/10/16

Dear Anel

Chris

Reply to Foot expert