Posted by: Meli22 | 2012-07-27

Bump on outer labia

Hi Doctor
About two weeks ago, a bump appeared on my outer labia a day or two after shaving and I assumed it was an ingrown hair. However, inserting a sterilized needle into the bump and trying to " pop"  it/remove the hair didn''t work. Only a small amount of pus and blood came out and I can''t see if there''s an ingrown hair. The bump is located near my urethra but definitely on the outer labia. I''m really worried because the bump has become bigger (before I tried to pop it, the size had already increased). It is now bigger than a pea. I''ll be working in a third world country for the next two months and don''t want to see a doctor here but also don''t want to wait til I get back to SA in case it''s serious. I''m really scared, please advise.

The most likely thing is an ingrown hair which has become infected. However, I can't really tell without seeing it.If it is increasing in size, I'm afraid you will have to see a doctor.