Question
Posted by: janine | 2011/07/26

BULLY AT CRECHE

My son is 19months old and has started to join a creche since june this year, his behaviour has changed a lot as he has started to hit children and me as well. when i dissipline him he hits me agian, can this be because there is a bully at his creche who hits him and now he sees this as a way of defending himself? If not what could the other reasons for this be and how should i handle this?

It is very possible that there is a bully at the creche, or that more broadly he may see other kids hitting each other. Talk with the folks at the creche to find out more about what may be happening there ( and they must have a lot of experience of how children that age behave there, and why ). 19 months is young to be going to a creche, and we have less experience of how children that young respond to these circumstances. If he's only been going for about a month, maybe he still feels angry with you for "going away" and leaving him there.

2
Posted by: Laurei | 2011/07/27

There is a phase called " terrible two''s" . It lasts for up to 4 and 5 years of age. My son did the same, was irritated, agressive, nagged and cried a lot. There were no external influences invovled. WHen he started creche at 5, he calmed down. He is 9 years old now and has been such a joy and pleasure that I cannot believe it is the very same boy. GIve it time, by all means investigate and see if anything is triggering his behaviour, but generally, some kids do these things at that age.

Reply to Laurei