Question
Posted by: LINDIE | 2013-01-24

BULLTERRIER AND WATER MELON

i HAVE 5 YEAR OLD BULLTERRIER AND FROM 1YEAR OLD SHE GETS VERY ANGRY WHEN SHE SEE A WATERMELON. I HAVE TO HIDE IT WHEN I BUY IT BECAUSE WHEN SHE SEES IT, SHE DESTROYS IT. I CANNOT PUT IT OUTSIDE ON GARDEN TABLE SHE GETS MAD. WHAT WENT WRONG?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Gosh Lindie, I wondered what happened to get her to react like this when she was younger! Something, somewhere must have happened for her to have this association and it could well have been that you had one outside and when she went to smell it, there was a bee on it and she was stung. Things like this are called 'one event learning' and the dog then has the association that the particular object is 'bad'. You can desensitize her to this and to do so have a look under the Professional Downloads on our free website and the one you are looking for is called Desensitizing. It will be much easier for you to follow the steps than writing them there, but what I would do, is instead of starting with a full watermelon, start with about 1/4 of one and also start the process a good distance from her. Thks and the website is www.friendsofthedog.co.za