Question
Posted by: TC | 2011/11/14

Bullmastiff biting JR

Hi there,
My mom has a 9 year old bullmastiff (female) and 1 year old Jack Rustle (male). They have always been the best of buddies until Saturday.
We were in the pool swimming and the JR loves the pool. When we got out my mom was drying him and the bullmastiff grabbed him out of my mom’ s hands and started shaking him like she wanted to kill him. We all ran and pulled them apart. Luckily the JR was on hurt just very shaken. After about an hour they were great buddies again
She had the same problem on Sunday when she got out the pool she and the JR went back into the house and the bullmastiff hair stood up and she went for him gain. Once gain after the dust settled they were buddies again.
What can we do to help I am scared she will kill him.
The bullmastiff will only listen to me or my Dad.
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi TC, unfortunately, situations like this tend to get pregressively worse, and i would seriously suggest that you get in professional help straight away. There are multiple reasons why this could be happening i.e. the JR is getting to the age wherein status will soon become important and the BM is seeing him as a threat. If he is not sterilized this would compound the situation. The BM is now starting to see the JR as a threat in the canine hierarchy and a threat for your moms attention.
That the BM will only listen to your Dad is not on either. Every single member in the combined human/canine pack needs to be higher in the hierarchy than both dogs. It is relativly simple to change all this around, but it has to be done in-house, and really as soon as possible. Please get in touch with a behaviourist in your area at www.animal-behaviour.org.za. If you cannot find somebody there, please email me on scotty@scottysdogs.co.za, but before Wednesday afternoon, as i am leaving for overseas and wont be back online till the following monday.
In between use management and dont allow the JR in the pool area, or anywhere near it until you have gotten the help you need. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/11/14

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert