Question
Posted by: Daddy | 2011/06/21

Bull Terrier. Sores on tummy

I have a 4 year old brindle and white bully girlie, speyed and full of beans, on the go all the time.

She has a typical " white bully"  pink tummy. I noticed that she developed a sore around one of her teats that had a scab and was inflamed around it.

I thought she had injured herself while running around the garden. I treated it with a homeopathic remedy " All heal"  Bio Oil, and Tea Tree Oil but it did not get better. I then noticed one of her other teats became inflamed . I thought it may be a dematitis/mange thing and treated with with a dermo cream I have, no result.

I have had her at the Vet, he took a scaping and examined it, pronouncing no dermatitis. He said it could be sunburn ? He gave her 2 injections, " to reduce the inflamation"  and a sun screen. I doubt the sunburn theory as she always lies in the sun and this has never happened before.

I can't use the sun screen as it should not be applied to open wounds. Have you any idea what it can be as I am not too thrilled with the Vets prognosis. What else can I use to clear up the sores.? Thank you.

Hi Daddy

Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with your vet. It is difficult for me to comment on what is happening as I do not have enough clinic history / visual appraisal of the problem.

You may have a bacterial/fungal/yeast infection or there could be neoplasia (benign/malignant). I would advise that you do a fungal/bacterial swab for culture and sensitivity and/or put on a prolonged course of antibiotics/antifungals and/or take multiple biopsy’s of the area in question for histopathology.

Histopathology (lab testing of a sample) will be of great help in determining the disease process and from there treatment/surgery can be implemented.

Please go back to your vet and discuss your frustration. If you are still unhappy with service delivery then make an appointment with another vet.

6
Posted by: Courtney | 2011/06/27

I used to have White Bull Terriers and they suffer from Skin cancer and that happened to our male he started forming these bumps all over and after some time our GP (not VET) told us that it could be cancer and after that we consulted the Vet and he ran tests and it was positive for cancer. We were then told to dilute sunscreen in some water and put that on his tummy and it seemed to help with our female but sadly the male passed away due to the stage the cancer was at.

I do hope that this is not the case with your pup but please do be aware of it.

Reply to Courtney
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/06/23

Hi Daddy

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Daddy | 2011/06/22

Your idea of her dragging herself along on her stomach rings a bell. She has a " shade cloth"  bed, in the yard and I have seen her on her stomach doing exactly that., pulling herself along .Its also a rough material, but its the only " soft"  type of bedding I can use because she tears everything else to shreds. I have started on the bactroban as well. I will most definitely keep a close eye on her and if need be, we may have to refer her on. Thanks again.

Reply to Daddy
Posted by: Chill | 2011/06/22

No idea what the specific cause is, one would need to see the sores. But consider that the area around the teats will have less hair covering than the rest, which would result in more susceptibility to sunburn. Also, it''s possible that the dog may scrape the area somehow - she may like to ''scratch'' herself by stretching/dragging her stomach along the ground, grass or carpet - this too could result in irritation which might develop into a sore.

If you still don''t think this is likely, and you want to know, and your vet doesn''t have any further ideas, you could request a referral to a specialist veterinary physician or dermatologist - you''d almost definitely get some sort of diagnosis then, and at least they might confirm what your vet''s already told you.

It may not seem worth your while to incur those kinds of costs at this stage, which would be understandable. But do consider that IF the sunburn theory turns out to be correct, there are longer term implications there involving the potential for cancer.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Daddy | 2011/06/22

The general inflamation seems to be a bit better, but two of her teats are now inflamed at the base, a small red ring on each. I suspect that the large sore, also on a teat developed because I did not notice it earlier. It seems as if it starts on the teat and then develops into a sore. I still dont believe its sunburn as it is confined specifically to the teats. What is the cause do you think ? I''ll keep you posted.

Reply to Daddy
Posted by: Chill | 2011/06/21

Well, the key is to find out what''s causing the problem - then, the treatment will become obvious. Sunburn with a bullterrier is a bit of a no-brainer, it''s so common - but of course to catch sunburn on her teats, she''d have to sunbathe on her back fairly regularly. You can''t rule that out on the grounds that she''s never had it before, because the effects of sunburn are cumulative (same with people!), so if that is a possibility, don''t shut your mind to it.<br><br>Using ointment on dogs is a bit problematic, because of course you don''t want muck/sand to stick to the skin. I''ve always found Prenine to be quite useful, but I like Bactroban too. First work on getting the sores healed, then use the sunscreen, and if that doesn''t help, it''s back to the drawing-board.

Let us know what happens....

Reply to Chill