Question
Posted by: Cat | 2010-01-19

Bull Terrier

Hi I have a white bull terrier .. He has got this habit of running between the plants and the wall when he hear the neighbors dog on the other side, he runs up and down but the problem is he is scraping off all his hair he look like he is not looked after .. I have moved I’ m to the front it got better but then started in the front also running up and down the walls.. is there anything I can put on his skin or what can I do with this behavior of his to stop him from doing this.. ??

Dear Cat

I suspect you will still have a bold dog in the years to come. It is very hard to break a habit like this in a bull terrier.

6
Posted by: steph | 2010-01-21

if the SPCA are happy that your dog is ok, then it' s not a problem. But of your dogs are fighting regularly then perhaps that needs addressing. Out of interest, is your dog neutered? Does your neighbours dog bark, is that what brings on this running against wall? can you not speak to your neighbour and see what he can do to help the situation?

Reply to steph
Posted by: anna | 2010-01-20

Try putting some poles/stumps/bamboo poles a few feet apart all along the inside of the wall - he can still run alongside, but he won' t be able to rub against the wall.

Reply to anna
Posted by: Cat | 2010-01-20

From trying to look after my dog ..leaving him in the front .. the one neighbor decided to call the SPCA on me yesterday accusing me of animal abuse.. well they came and I explained to them that I have tried like Chill suggested I should do but he just finds another route to get in to this running business of his.. and that is why I have moved him now to the front (with no improvement to my luck ) They said that he does not look 100% to the eye (hair wise) but other than that that the neighbor acted hasty to call them as they both the male and female is looking well fed except for the one mark on her back when they fought over something the one day.. which I clean and put medicine on.. I mean I love my pups they my animal children..can people be soo damn nosy ????!!!!

Reply to Cat
Posted by: steph | 2010-01-19

hm, we had bull terriers when I was a child and they are nothing if not stubborn! Good luck. On another note, if he looks happy and not injured or irritated from the running against the wall then that' s all you can really wish for, a happy dog :) no matter what other people think, so long as you know he is happy and cared for.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2010-01-19

If the problem is the running up and down: good luck - I have no idea how you' d stop him.

But if the problem is his running too close to the wall: construct some obstacles (temporary, perhaps) that he has to run around, to get him further from the wall. For example: a few bricks, a bucket, garden chair, etc. Or, if you' re willing to pay some money, get a few of those plastic-covered wire edging fences, and place them strategically here and there. If it helps, move them around now and then, to surprise him!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-01-19

Dear Cat

Reply to Cybervet