Posted by: Joclyn Ross | 2009-08-24

Bulky Thighs, and bum

hi doc

trust you are well, i am a runner, i run 5 days per week and average about 60ks per week, however i also when we go away go on rather strenous hikes, i have not gained weight, my ribs still are visible on my top stomach and back, but i have noticed that my pants are getting tighter on my bum and upper thighs, my claves have grown allot to, is this normal, most runners barely have legs, what could i be doing wrong, i feel fat? i am 25, weight 59.2kgs, and i am 1.76cm, ? so can you give some advice as to why my pants feel so tight in those areas

J ross

Hi Joclyn

I am not sure if I follow 100% - you said that you went away on a hike and then saw these changes? That's possible - running doesn't really use the calves. Well, it uses them, but it doesn't usually cause building of calf muscles. Hiking, on the other hand, might, and so it's possible you've just seen the effects of that hike on your appearance, and it will go away in the course of the next week or two. It would be unusual to respond so quickly to training, but not impossible.

You certainly shouldn't feel fat, you have not gained weight, or even muscle (you'd be heavier), so it seems likely that you're just maybe had an acute response to hiking or to some change in the training.

I would not worry too much about this just yet, rather wait and see if things get even more pronounced and then see whether there is something that you are doing differently to the past.