Question
Posted by: Gerrard | 2009-02-02

Bulking up

Im 16 and trying to build muscle Im at a gym lifting weights so the exercise part is sorted. Im 6" 2 foot 14 stone what food should I be eating to gain muscle and how much.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Gerrard

I keep on getting the same question. As I answered the others – to gain muscle you must be in a positive energy balance – thus you have to calculate how much energy you need for what you want to weigh + the energy added onto that for the amount of training you perform per week – again onto that you add about 15% calories. Of that calorie value protein should make out about 2 g per kilogram of body weight. Focus on lean protein (chicken, fish, ostrich, and pork fillet) to keep the bad fats low. Make sure you include more good fats (avocado, olive, olive oil, seeds and nuts) – the total amount of fats should be about 20%. Lastly only eat low GI carbohydrates e.g. lentils + brown rice, chic peas, baked beans, quinoa, and barley. Split you food intake into 6 meals per day.

Just a warning: it is not recommended to start weight training before the age of 17 as the body is still in development and that could have detrimental effects. Best to train against your own body weight with the help of a conditioning coach before that age.

Good Luck!
Take care.
Vanessa