Posted by: Gerrard | 2009-02-02

Bulking up

Im 16 and I need to bulk up, whats the best way of going about this. Im already at a gym so if you could just tell me about the best exercises and also about nutrition that would be great.

Hi Gerrard

At this stage, simply training in the gym will help you build muscle. I would be very cautious about launching into a building programme, because you're still just a touch young for that - you'll get injured more quickly if you're not careful and lift too heavy. So don't be impatient - you're growing anyway, and so any work you do will help.

I'd say you need to get yoruself a session with the trainer at the gym and explain your objectives and timeframes. Again, my opinion is that you should not emphasize bulking up now - focus rather on technique and strength, and then build muscle a little later.

As for nutrition, I highly suggest seeing a dietician. I hate to pass the buck on these things, but it's impossible for me, over the internet, to hand out diet or exercise advice. Diet especially is not my primary area of expertise and it's really important that you get it right, so really consider seeing a dietician about it.

Posted by: Crystle-Lynne | 2009-03-26

I am currently a psych honours student and am busy with a research propsal. The topic I am working on is " Why males (particularly between the ages of 16yrs-20yrs) want to bulk up?" 

I remember when my brother was 16, all he could speak about was ' bulking up'  and he wanted to go to gym everyday and lift rediculous weights. It seems like this is becoming more and more popular amongst youngsters.

Why does it seems to be so important???? Is it perhaps a peer pressurer thing?-If Gerrard could maybe respond to this....

And Fitnessdoc, what I would like to know from you is, is this ' bulking up'  really that healthy, especially for young boys?

How healthy are these shakes and supplements that they take?

Do you think that it is becoming quite an obsession amongst the males?

Are there any long term damages that can be caused from ' bulking up' ?

Many Thanks

Reply to Crystle-Lynne