Posted by: Gabby | 2009-07-27

Bulimia Treatment: Where to look for help

Thak you for your article on helping a family member with eating disorders, this was in deed helpful. I am however struggling to find therapists whi treat these disorders (outpatient) that use cognative behavioural therapy. Please can you suggets where I could look (Johannesburg, South Africa)?

Dear Gabby
I would recommend 2 approaches: 1) Contact the Psychology Department at Wits University and ask them to refer you to a clinical psychologist who is experienced in the treatment of bulimia, 2) Contact one or more dietitians in your area (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), and ask them who they work with when treating patients with bulimia. The bulimic patient not only requires psychological help, but also dietetic support to return to healthy eating.
Wishing you all the best