Question

Bulimia symptoms???

Hi there. I am just wondering, when somebody has bulimia, how long after they' ve eaten, do they purge? And how long do they take to do it. I' ve got a friend, who has been losing a lot of weight lately, and I' m quite worried about her. I' ve noticed that almost immediately after she eats, she goes to the bathroom, and stays in there a while. I' ve asked her about it, without being to obvious, and she says that she has a problem with her stomach. She claims that after she' s eaten, she must go to the toilet because she has to go, number 2. I' m not really convinced, I know she' s had a thing about her weight since we were in highschool. I really would like to help her, but I' m not sure if my suspisions are correct.

A.

Dear A
Generally patients with bulimia do induce vomiting immediately after eating or they use harsh laxatives that cause them to pass frequent bowel motions to remove the food they have eaten. It is possible that your friend is suffering from bulimia and goes to the bathroom to purge by vomiting. See if you notice any changes in her teeth because the constant vomiting and bringing up of acid stomach contents, damages the enamel of the patient's teeth. However, your friend may suffer from various digestive upsets which cause frequent bowel motions. So be very tactful if you enquire about her habit of running to the bathroom. You can always ask her what condition she is suffering from?
Hope you can help your friend because bulimia is a dreadful condition which can damage a person's entire life.

1

Dear A