Question
Posted by: nobody | 2008/05/30

bulimia sufferer- I cannot do this!

Hey there
I am a sufferer of bulimia and am trying to get healthy but having a couple of problems, thought maybe you'd have an explanation?
As I start eating anything I have a compulsion to just carry on and on, I feel hungry all the time and when I do eat I seem to fit more in my stomach than others just never feeling full.Is this from binging or is it from self deprivation, is my body catching up on needed extra nourishment?I feel abnormally bloated yet still feel the urge to eat, I am always hungry! I have irregular heart beats and feel exhausted and therefore am battling to exercise which just makes me feel even worse. I don't want to allow myself to eat this much, I feel like such a pig but i am hungry.Please help me, I cant do this I have only started and I feel i am on a one way spiral to obesity.Why is this happening?

Dear Reader
I am worried that you are not getting any assistance from professionals such as a clinical dietitian or a clinical psychologist who are trained to assist individuals suffering from an eating disorder like bulimia to cope. Your compulsion to eat and eat may well be due to your previous habit of purging and starving your body. Eating disorders disrupt your entire metabolism and I would recommend that you contact a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Go for expert help ASAP so that you can beat the nightmare of bulimia without developing new problems.

1
Posted by: Annelie | 2008/05/30

Hi there, i am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this, and on the other hand so happy to hear that you are trying to get healthy again.

Have you tried to replace the inbetween snacks with things thats healthy, like a fruitsalad, ricecakes or veggies, then atleast you dont have to feel guilty for eating.

As time goes by, your body will get used to it and i am sure things will get better increasing your energy levels.

Reply to Annelie