Question
Posted by: Jo | 2011/08/13

Bulimia

Im 16 years old and i have a huge problem. I am a normal weight of 51 kg, but i used to be quite a bit skinnier than that so i have gained weight. i used to be overweight at a young age so i have always felt insecure about my body and gaining weight terrifies me. Lately almost everything i eat i feel the need to purge and sometimes i lose control and eat anything i can find and then vomit. its making me throat really sore and i sometimes feel weak and i come last in all my races at school. It is starting to control my life and i dont know what to do?!!! Even though i am vomiting up a lot of my food i still seem to be gaining weight on top of it.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Jo,
The response preceding mine is very sound. Not only are you very brave to have reached out here, but you now need to try and be open with a parent or close family member in order to seek out some professional care. Your behaviour is very dangerous, and not just for your throat. I suggest that you speak to your mum if you have one, and share with her how you are feeling and what you have stumbled into. You could start by seeing your GP to get a thorough physical examination, but your GP should then direct you to a psychologist and/or dietician who specialized in eating disorder treatment. If you email me, I might be able to give you some names of clinicians in your area. Please respond quickly, as you are doing enormous damage to yourself in every way possible. Your behavior is not going to help you have a healthy weight or body, so you need to get some help to find ways of eating that will make you healthy in a sensible way. As the other reader indicated, your eating disorder is not so much about food, but rather a reflections of your emotional difficulties. However, the first thing that needs to be attended to is helping you see that eating in a healthy and proper way is the priority. Once that is achieved, then you can explore the underlying difficulties. But first, you need to start treating yourself in a more gentle and healthy way.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Eating Disorders Expert | 2011/08/25

Hi Jo,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders Expert
Posted by: not alone | 2011/08/16

hi jo
i know what you are going through. it is really scary, especially at 16. but there really is help out there! and you can recover!
youve taken the first step by asking for help, well done!
the next step is realizing that you cant do it alone. share with someone you trust who can get you to your GP(who can refer you to a specialist) or an eating disorder specialist. there are loads of people with the same problem and it helped me when i realized i wasnt alone and could finally open up to people who understand.
dont leave it too long. bulimia is not about the weight,its about feelings that we try to escape from by focussing on the weight and food.eating loads and then vomiting gives a temporary relief of difficult feelings, but it is only temporary.you will need to find out what is underneath your bulimia and when that is soughted,recovery is possible. it is a dangerous condition if not stopped.
use the same bravery you used now to tell somebody who can help! dont give up! good luck!

Reply to not alone