Question
Posted by: sparky | 2011-03-23

bulimia

Hi there,
I have been suffering from bulimia and anorexia for ten years now and feel like my mind is spinning out of control again.I am trying to eat mangoes and drink fat free milk but thats all I can handle.Is it so wrong for me to want to be bmi 16 again,I even do not mind being on 16.8 but right now its too close to 18 and thats scarily healthy for me.What kind of foods will help me just not gain anymore weight.Even when I have feta or some fish my weight shoots up and it just feels very out of control at the moment.
Another question is if I purge and exercise is there a chance I could have a heart attack with even light exercise because I genuinely need to do some sort of activity for my mental well being?.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Sparky,
Perhaps the one glimmer of hope is that you have approached this forum with your questions. It suggests that you have some concerns about some of your lifestyle choices. First, a diet of mangoes and FF milk is ridiculous and feta cheese isn't going to take it much closer to a well-balanced diet. In your ten years of disordered eating, have you received any professional input, as the way in which you choose to eat now is extremely concerning? Second, You cannot consider weighing anything that results in a BMI of less than 18.5, which is the bare minimum towards a normal weight range. Any weight below a BMI of 18.5 (if you are a female) is underweight and unhealthy. To not accept that you need to have a BMI at 18.5 of higher is suggestive that you are not accepting a decision to get better or that you are truly stuck in a state of denial. Third, purging lowers your electrolytes (sodium and potassium) levels, which is your body's natural electrical charge that keeps your heart thumping. When you purge, such dehydration can lead to cardiac arrest without warning and is one of the greatest mortality threats amongst sufferers of eating disorders because it comes with little warning. You can go into arrest without exercise. With exercise, you just increase the risk, as exercise will further dehydrate you and place further strain on your heart. i suggest that you immediately see your GP and have a thorough physical evaluation. From there, i suggest that you enter into therapy with someone who is familiar with treating individuals with eating disorders. You should also see a dietician with similar credentials. I have some names if you want to email me. I wouldn't wait, Sparky, or you will spark no more. Seriously. Regards,
Graham