Question
Posted by: ballantine | 2010/11/03

bulimia

i am a male bulimic, have been for 15 years, the thing is i am not thin or even skinny but pretty overweight. My BMI is over 30. I have been to various psychologists, psychiatrists and have had treatment with various ssri''e etc. I still take fluoxetene 20mg / day to help curb my binges. Problem is i cant remember a day in the past year when i havent purged, not only is this worrying me as i am sure i have done permanent damage by now to certain organs but what a waste of money. I also feel like my metabolism is screwed up so completeley that it is impossible for me to actually lose weight. If there is anyone out there with good advice on treatment and nutrition and help me kick this thing once and for all, please reply. many thanks

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Ballantine,
I can understand your frustration, as you have already received quite extensive treatment for your eating disorder, but it does not appear that you have any control over your impulses. First, I think that you should revisit your psychiatrist and have your medication reviewed. Although it is not my place to discuss medication with you on this forum, it has been well established that Fluoxetine needs to be taken at 60mg to effectively challenge impulses to binge. I hope that you are also persisting with your therapy as it is often a long road towards recovery. I noticed that you did not mention that you consult with a dietician. I think that this would be a very valuable addition to your treatment team, but make sure you consult with someone who specialised in the treatment of eating disorders. Email me if you want some specific names in your area.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/11/16

Hello Ballantine,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: Ulandi | 2010/11/04

Hi. i was bulimic for 12yrs and 6yrs ago i had Nissan Fundoplication surgery. they do this surgery for people with severe heartburn and acid reflux, but i had it done because i wanted to stop vomitting and i did - trust me - this operation makes it IMPOSSIBLE to vommit. so, its been 6yrs! whatever goes in STAYS IN. i have however gained so much weight and been diagnosed with bipolar... but atleast im not sticking my hand down my throat! i can enjoy a meal without worrying how long before i have to run to get it out. i hope u get help soon. all the best.

Reply to Ulandi