Question
Posted by: JJH | 2008/07/23

Bulimia

I posted a question about Bulimia a couple of months ago... You all showed good support which i appreciated! I' m back to tell you all that she is struggling with Bulimia and she still hasnt seen a profesional to help her. She is also adiment that she can cure it herself. But she only stops for about 10 to 12 days and then she goes back to vomiting. I dont know what to do anymore! She understands EVERYTHING! All the bad things that is happening to her and she is also already having pains in her heart! But knowing she must stop and all the bad things she still want to do it herself and not profesionally... HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Sadly, the people who are most adamant that they can "cure" things themselves are usually those least able to do so. Without proper professional help she will NOT be able to permanently stop these dangerous bad habits herself. Unless a local doctor is convinced that she is a significant danger to herself, and is prepared to invoke the relevant mental health laws to arrange for her compulsory admission to hospital for treatment, there may be nothing that can be done until she either recognizes that she needs help and seeks it voluntarily, or until she collapses medically ans is too weak to resist a hospital admission.

3
Posted by: me | 2008/07/23

Hey im still suffering and I would be too scared to go for help, bulimia is mostly control and treatment would mean handing that over.Owch I have been close to death and still I do it even though Id like to stop.Learn to detach yourself from her and realize she is old enough to make choices for herself.Its good to be there and let her know that but don' t get too involved she will only feel more stressed and guilty and you responsible, she may even begin to rely on you so promise its for the best, she just needs to be encouraged to take responsibility.

Reply to me
Posted by: Riley | 2008/07/23

Mwila, I undertstand what you are saying, but I know, from experience, when the gym was introduced to me, I used that as my ' purge' . Would easily then run 30km a day to ' compensate'  for the carrot I ate in the morning. ( I would alternate that with a teaspoon of yoghurt and 6 grapes every second day).

For eight years, I swayed between bulimia, anorexia, and eventually got labeled as bulimirexic - not sure if that is the medical term.

I am no expert (psycologically) but an expert in the bulimic world. Being bulimic to me, personally, is definately NOT about being thin. (What is that in any case? Cos all my ' thin'  goals I set years/months ago, now look FAT to me)

Telling a bulimic to indulge once a week, is like telling an addict it is ok to shoot up herion (for eg, please dont crucify me) on the weekend.

A healthy lifestyle needs to be incorporated, but I do, wholeheartedly, believe what CS is said is 100% accurate.

Support support support.

And yes, I still have my days, weeks, months, where I completely fall apart.

JJH, you need to help her to see a profesional. Even just joining a support group. Or, I would advise you to attend one, and rely information to her carefully and sensitively.

Reply to Riley
Posted by: Mwila | 2008/07/23

I suffered from eating disorders when I was 16 due to a big change that happend in my life. I lost so much weight that everyone asked my dad whether i' d been sick or something was wrong with me.

Get to the bottom of what is causing this and reassure her that she is the most beautiful thing and doesn' t need to be thin to be noticed.

I must tell you though, it' s not easy to stop once you start. I' m 26 and still, I have those dark days when I don' t feel in control in my life and find myself bengeing then throwing-up.

Talking to someone about bulimia is not enough. What might help also is if she joins gym or jog to compensate for the food she eats, or learn to indulge at least once a week.

I never saw any doctor, psychologist cause my parents didn' t think I had a problem (I' m black). As I grew older, I started jogging and introduced more salads and fat free in my diet. I have made gym a part of my life since I started working- I go at least five times a week and that has helped me cause I feel more in control.

Reply to Mwila