Question
Posted by: Jennifer | 2012/03/19

Bulima, vitamin deficiency and pregnancy

Dear Doctor I have been bulimic for most of my adult life. I am in my forties and about to undergo fertility treatment. I am concerned about whether I am suffering from vitamin deficiencies and electroloyte imbalances. Although my illness is much better than it has been at other times, I have recently been suffering from sores at the corner of my mouth, which I read can be a sign of vitamin deficiency, I also have a slow pulse and occassional dizziness. Besides obviously not purging, I was wondering whether I could be comprehensively tested for vitamin and mineral deficiencies in South Africa (I see a number of sitesw internationally offering such a service). Then how do I rectify the situation. I am taking a vitamin B supplement at the moment and had a vitamin B injection but the sores on my mouth have persisted. What else can I do?

Dear Jennifer
I would recommend that you ask the doctor(s) who is/are going to give you the fertility treatment to arrange for you to have the relevant blood tests done at your local pathology lab to test for vitamin and mineral deficiencies. From what you say, I would also agree that you may be suffering from multiple vitamin and mineral deficiencies. If you are not prepared for these doctors to know about your bulimia (something you should in all fairness to all concerned, esp the unborn baby, speak about openly), then you need to see your gp and ask him/her to examine your mouth and to send you for the tests. Depending on what results are obtained, you may need to take vitamin B complex supplements plus a complete vitamin and mineral supplement and iron to counteract any iron deficiency anaemia you may have. I do hope that you will first rectify any nutritional deficiencies you may have before you have the fertility treatments and before you fall pregnant.
Wishing you all the best and a healthy, happy pregnancy when you have fully regained your health

1

Dear Jennifer