Question
Posted by: Maria | 2011/05/11

bulging disc and yoga

hi there

i have a deydrated disc in my lumbar between 4 and 5.
slight bulge. not touching a nerve. my muscles are very weak and i need to strech. can i do yoga (the one with the sun salutations)

Maria

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Maria,

Almost every tradition of yoga teaches some or other version of Salute to the Sun. So I cannot vouch for them all. Yoga may be beneficial, but I would recommend starting slowly and definitely make your condition known to your teacher. Also always stay present when doing the practices, be aware of the area and work with your body so that you are always doing things that feel beneficial and not painful. Back pain and conditions can be a great teacher of patience, awareness, and compassion for yourself and others. If you are doing yoga for physical benefit only then Pilates may be better to strengthen up your core muscles. If you are embracing yoga as a path to a deeper understanding of yourself then it will definitely help and there are many practices besides postures that will help, like pranayama, deep relaxation and meditation.

1
Posted by: yoga | 2011/05/16

Hi Maria,

Reply to yoga