Posted by: Worried | 2012-11-01

Building shaking

Dear Doc
We moved into a newly build 5 storey building. The lower 3 storey''s are parking garages, and the top 2 are huge open plan offices.
The building is build on a water table with special colomns drilled down to the top of the water table.
The problem is for the last 2 or 3 days the building has been shaking every 10 sekonds to a few minutes. Sometimes it is quite bad like a tiny earthquake and the computer screens visibly shakes. It is also very irritating with the constant earth vibration permeating your very being.
I am worried about the safety of the building, I do not want to be trapped here when in collapses.
Our facilities manager said it is normal as it adjusts to the water table but he will ask the architects as well.
How does one adjust to working with the constant feeling of being in an earthquake :P

I'm no architect, but under these circumstances, I'd leave the building, and ask the Council officials responsible for approving the plans and use of the building, to check on its safety.
Maybe also send a message perhaps by registered post, keeping copies, to the architect, asking for re-assurance that the building is entirely safe with no risk to you at all.
And some of the media, TV and radio, might be interested in investiagting such a story, too.
On the face of it, its reasonable for you to feel fearful, and the owners and architect are, hmm, on shaky ground in insisting everything's totally safe, unless they can back it up

Posted by: Lilly | 2012-11-03

Really doesnt sound good. I woud take Dr Shrinks advice, tell your company its a serious health risk and you cant concentrate. The council/original building or whoever MUST investigate. Write letters and cc people in!!

Reply to Lilly