Question
Posted by: Mike | 2009/12/09

Building muscle and cardio

Can I build muscle successfully and maintain a triathlon training program?

Hi Mike

Yes, sure, though obviously the more muscular you are, the more difficult it will be to perform at a very high level. So it depends on your goal from the two - if you want to crack a 10 hour Ironman, or even a 2 hour 10 min Olympic triathlon, then you can't afford to be carrying a lot of muscle, especially on the upper body. Also, the time you have for training is important, because you would need a substantial time investment to do well at triathlon, and doing a big muscle development programme at the gym cuts into that time.

So it all depends on what your goals are. What does "build muscle" mean to you? Is to Sylvester Stallone, Pierre Spies or Michael Phelps? They all have well built physiques, but they've very different.

And what does triathlon mean?

If your goal is to be generally fit, then yes, you can achieve both.

2
Posted by: Mike | 2009/12/16

What sort of weight training program would a triathlete follow? I am not looking to be the best, but more in the triathlon game for enjoyment and to get outdoors. On the muscle side, I am trying to build a decent body and cut fat.

Reply to Mike
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/12/11

Hi Mike

And what does triathlon mean?

Reply to fitnessdoc