Posted by: Jenn | 2009-06-04

I would like to buy two budgies. We have a 15 month old son who loves watching my mom' s budgies when we visit them.
I also have two cats. My mom has 5 cats and they are no problem for her.
I just want some advice before buying them. Both my husband and I have full day jobs. Is it wise to have budgies then? Won' t they get loneley if they only see us at night? We also go away 1 weekend in the month usually to my parents. Can I then take them with me?
Are budgies loving birds? I love animals and I love talking to them and playing with them. If I have budgies, will they interact with me when I talk to them? Making noises ect. Do they bite?
Just want some advice please.

Dear Jenn

It sounds like you need to talk to a person who loves budgies or buy a budgie book with nice pictures in. I'm a vet who do not have the intense psychological knowledge that you need.

Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-04

I dont have budgies but I do know parrots .... so maybe I can try and help.

Two budgies wont get lonely but they will bond with each other , so you will have to spend more time with them to get them really tame.. they do nip, but a budgie bite compares to a grey is nothing .

They are loving sweet little birds that can also be good talkers and will get used to going " visiting" 

Keep them away from the cats , my cats dont bother my parrots but there is a size difference .

Reply to Carol