Posted by: nini | 2009-07-11

does buckwheat contain wheat and gluten?

where can one buy it?

what type of grain is it i.e. how would one use it in cooking? is it a type of flour or would it be a type of porride/rice?

can it be used in baking to replace wheat flour products if it snot a wheat?

any tips on how to inlc it in the diet? does it have fibre and what other nutrients does it contain i.e. is it worth the effort of inclusion if you avoiding wheat and gluten?

Many questions i know, thanks for your constant help

Dear Nini
Buckwheat is not a cereal or wheat despite its name, and it does not contain any gluten. You should be able to use it if you are gluten intolerant, but you will have to experiment to see if it can be used for baking because I do not think it will rise. Ironically it is the gluten in wheat that allows cakes and bread to rise when you add yeast or baking power. Contact you nearest health shop to find out if they stock it. Also ask how one prepares this grain. I do not have the nutritive composition of buckwheat available, but will surmise that it is similar in composition to other grains (high in starch, moderate fibre content, some B vitamins and some minerals). It may be worth the effort to include it in a gluten-free diet to provide some variety.