When my daughter bruises, they take long to heal. What is the cause of this?

Dear Anonymous
Bruising is caused by old blood beneath the skin in the soft tissue. The white blood cells (macrophages) removes the dead blood and the time it takes will differ from person to person. If she bruises very easily, it may be worth your while to check her blood platelets and coagulation factors with a blood test.

Posted by: chantal | 2009-06-17

i also have this. When i knock my arms or legs then the bruises remain for weeks on end. I' ve been told that it is due to two reasons. Firstly my blood vessels are very close to the surface of my skin and therefore i am an easier " target"  for bruising. The second reason is that i don' t have a very healthy diet and take vitamin suppliments to try and balance this out. Leafy veggies, greens and salads i' ve been told will help.

Reply to chantal