Question
Posted by: Curious | 2008-10-30

Bruising

In 2003 at the age of 42 I suffered a pulmonary embalism 5 days after my baby was born. I was put on Warfarin tablets. I am now 48 and bruise at the slightest touch and the bruise remains on my body for periods lasting up to 5 weeks. Is this normal for my age (48) or is the tablets causing this. I have always be a bruiser but not to this extent. The bruises are so bad that they go blue then a greenish/yellowish colour and then black. A lump appears in the bruise and it takes as I said anything from 5 weeks onwards to dissappear.

Dear Curious
Are you still regularly testing your INR? It may be that your Warfarin dose is a tad too high at the moment? If you are not on Warfarin or are on anti-platelet medication, you may need to have your platelet count and coagulation factors tested to see if you need Vit K? Don't ignore this as you may also be prone to a risk of bleeding of the brain with a slight bump toyour head.