Posted by: TamJ | 2010-05-17

Bruised Throat? or Gas Pocket?

I landed up with a bit of a head cold on Tuesday. On Saturday I started feeling this discomfort in my throat. It feels as though something is twisted inside. Swallowing hurts, but not all the time. The best I can describe this pain is similar to the differed pain I felt in my chest after my laparoscopy. Is it possible to have trapped gas in my throat?

I find that this pain happens whenever it wants. Sometimes I have to stop myself from swallowing because of the twisitng pain.
If I try and drink something (too big a sip or too fast) I feel the pain move into my shoulders.
When I touch my skin in the area of the pain it feels like I''m touching a bruise.

I have now started coughing a little as well (dry).

Any help would be appreciated.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear TamJ

Gas can only be trapped in the throat in the case of trauma. The throat is a tube that allows the passage of food and air to the stomach and lungs respectively. From what you are describing, it seems you are suffering from an
infective cause for your problem. You should see your doctor for an examination and appropriate treatment.