Posted by: Ron | 2008-12-22

Bruised Rib/s??

A week ago while out riding, I fell on my bike' s handlebars (on the right side of my body), I was winded (just slightly), but ever since my right breast is very sore. For the first couple of days, it was very painful to even breath, but now although the pain is still there, I can breath (but not deeply). Making a bed is very painful.
My husband suggested that I might have bruised my ribs, should I be concerned?

I was riding a offroad bike.

Dear Ron
You could have cracked a rib - if you press on the area and it feels very tender with a scratcy sound, the bone may be cracked. If the area is very swollen and blue you may have injured and caused bleeding of the muscles of the chest. You can take an anti-inflammatory medication like Voltaren or Brufen and also rub Voltaren jel on the area. If you cough blood or are very short of breath you may have underlying lung damage and then you need to see a doctor.