Question
Posted by: Vera | 2008/09/25

bruised Knee

Hi.Fell of a dirtbike on sunday and hurt my knee.It is now swollen and very bruised.It is not really sore but feels more stiff maybe.

If I put pressure on it it feels a little like somthing is pulling.I assume it is the swelling and once this has gone down I will be able to bend my knee.There is really no real pain at all other then obviously pressure on the bruise.

Everyone says I need to have it checked by a doctor but I think it looks worse then it is and dont think it is neccesary.I would assume if there was anything wrong I would feel more pain and I have a low pain threshold.I do feel muscle pain in my calf but I think it is because of the way I was limping.Do you think I need to have it checked?

Dear Vera
You may have bleeding inside the joint - so yes, rather let your doctor have a look before you end up with a stiff joint - it is always better to be safe than sorry. He may need to put your knee into a soft cast to give it some rest.