Question
Posted by: Atiyya | 2011/04/11

Bruised breast while breastfeeding

Dear doctor

I am breastfeeding and got a bruise on the side of my breast that is very painful. I got it once before when it filled up while at work and I couldn''t feed my baby for a few hours. This was not the case this time. It just got painful on the side and stayed painful for 2 days, especially when my arm brushed it. My baby is almost 6 months old. I don''t recall this ever happening with my 1st child. Please advise what caused it. I thought a milk duct could have been blocked but it has started getting better.

Most likely engorgement if it is getting better. It should be helped by emptying the breasts.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2011/04/14

Can you not remember how you bruised your breast? If there is a big blue mark there you should probably see your doctor.

Blocked ducts are quite common, and just feeding by offering that breast first is usually enough to get rid of them, however, sometimes you need to massage them towards your nipple while under a hot shower.

Reply to Purple