Posted by: B | 2012-08-29

''Bruise'' on leg

Doc, two nights ago, my calf - just under the knee on the side burned and itched. I thought maybe a mosquite or insect bit me. I rubbed it a bit and then after a while the burning and itching stopped. The next morning, I noticed a huge ''bruise'' about 5cm in diameter over the spot. It is deep purple but not sore when I press on it, like a bruise would be. I have a very large varicose veins in my legs and wondered if one ''leaked''? If so, is there anything I must do or not do?

You can consult your pharmacist for Thrombothrob gel to treat the subcutaneous haematoma. You can consult a general surgeon, in order to treat the varicose veins. If there is swelling of your calf, you will have to consult your doctor, as he/she will have to rule deep vein thrombosis out.