Question
Posted by: hm | 2009/12/23

Brownish discharge

Hi,i have been trying to get pregnant for more than two years now. I am not on any contraceptives, havent been for two years. My period was very irregular at first. I went to see a gyne and they did some tests but found nothing. All they said was that it was hormonal and I needed to go back on contraceptives to rectify the problem. I am very sceptical because before i used contraceptives i didnt have any problem conceiving. My period has more or less normalised but i have another problem. For about two weeks before my period I get nuasia, constipation, breast tenderness and spotting. The spotting will be blood, light in colour or dark brown. When it is dark brown, it often has a very bad odour. It smells almost like old blood. Is that what it is, or is there another problem? Another thing is when my husband and I get intimate during these two weeks I almost always start to bleed during intercourse. Then after that there is nothing for a day or two, before the spotting starts again. Should I go to see my GP or Gynea?

See your Gynae. There could be a problem with the cervix, causing the spotting after intercourse. The other symptoms sound hormonal.

1