Question
Posted by: Meg | 2012/10/17

Brown Spotting / Periods / Miscarriage - Relation?

Hi Doc.
I wrote some time to you about brown spotting that I have prior my period, you advised that it could possibly be a hormone problem.

Since then, I fell pregnant, with my 2nd pregnancy. Unfortunately, I lost our baby at between 7 and 8 weeks, previous pregnancy was also a miscarriage at 4 weeks.

Before both pregnancies, I spotted a few days prior, the same brown spotting I usually have with my period, only difference is it was much earlier than usual, and no bleed followed.

With my first pregnancy, I started bleeding two days after I find out and miscarried the next day.

With my second pregnancy, I started with the brown spotting just after 6 weeks, and then started bleeding between week 7 &  8 and miscarried two days later. We went for a scan the night before I miscarried, my cervix was closed and all seemed well except the baby was smaller than my cycle indicated which at the time the doc wrote down to late ovulation.
My HCG levels dropped from thousands to the low hundreds in 2 days, follow up scan 3 days later indicated that the baby had naturally passed and I was ''back to normal''.

Its been +/- 24 days since I miscarried and have started with the brown spotting again, which I am assuming my period is begining.

Can this all be related?
Gynea says they usually only investigate after 3 miscarriages but honestly, the pain is too much, if I can in anyway prevent it, I want to.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't think the spotting before your period is related to the miscarriage. It sounds like you had threatened miuscarriages which then went on to miscarry. This sequence of events is quite common. You could speak to your gynae about looking for luteal phase deficiency. This is the only possible connection between premenstrual spotting and miscarriage.

1