Question
Posted by: Jooste | 2009-12-08

Brown Spotting before period

Best Doc
I have been TTC for 9 months (me and husband age= 32). Usually, my period would start off with light bleeding, and no spotting. But...during the last 5 - 7 cycles I' ve noticed definate brown spotting 1 - 3 days before my actual period starts. It comes and goes (meaning: somedays a little bit more...other days a little bit less). I am sure that spotting before a period should be normal...but as I never used to experience it and as it sometimes lasts for several days before my actual period start - I was wondering if it is normal?

Dear Jooste

It can be normal to have spotting before your menstrual cycle. This is a common occurrence in some woman. It may not necessarily mean that there is a problem. However it would be advisable for you to see a gynaecologist so that a pelvic ultrasound can be done to ascertain if everything appears normal and to also check the progesterone level because low progesterone in the mid-luteal phase may give you some early spotting before your menstruation starts.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Roxy | 2010-04-16

What causes pink spotting before my period? Never happened before.

Reply to Roxy
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009-12-11

Dear Jooste

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert