Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2011/05/23

Brown rice vs white rice

I have always heard eat brown instead of whote , wholewheat bread instead of white etc etc , i always though the main reason was that white is high GI whereas wholewheat is low GI, but now alot of the previous white variants are coming out low GI so is brown rice still better then Tastic ( tastic has a low gi value)

Dear Stacey
I agree that the introduction of the GI has changed our idea of many foods in regard to how they influence our blood sugar levels (this is something I will discuss in my weekly DietDoc Topic next week - so keep an eye open for that). Please note that if one food has a GI of 55 and another has a GI of 53, the one if not really 'better' than the other, because both fall within the low-GI category. The same applies to foods in the intermediate- and high-GI categories. As regards rice, the SA Glycemic Index & Load Guide lists a low GI of about 55 for cooked brown basmati rice , brown Old Mill Stream and Spekko brands, cooked long grained white Spekko and Tastic rice, wild rice and rice bran. Cooked arborio rice is listed as a medium-GI food, while cooked jasmine rice, rice cakes, rice flour and Rice Krispies are all high-GI foods. Standard brown, white and wholewheat breads, are all high-GI foods, but as soon as ingredients like soy flour, and seeds are added, then this lower the GI of the breads. If you don't already have this useful guide to the GI and Glycemic Load (GL) of foods, contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to order this and other books that explain the principles of the GI.

1

Dear Stacey