Posted by: Sharon | 2011-09-07

Brown fluid

I am 47yrs old and have had ear problems for as long as I can remember. I constantly (at least every 2 days) have a brownish fluid in my ears. Also for the last few months I''ve had like a buzz in my head (similar to an airconditioner being on). I also can''t stand for too long as it then feels like I am going to fall over. I''m not dizzy or nauseous but it just feels like my head is cotton woolie. Could this be something serious?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sharon

It is impossible to say without an ENT examination of your ears, but an infective cause must be excluded.
One needs to establish the source of the fluid, ie the external earcanal, or the middle ear. Infective causes may be quite easy to control. The tinnitus (sound in the ears) may have a variety of causes, and this should be looked for. An audiogram (hearing test) may be very helpful.