Posted by: OBC | 2009-02-02

Brown discharge in early pregnancy

I am approximately 6 weeks pregnant and am due to see the gynae in two weeks'  time. I have had a light-brown discharge over the weekend, without any abdominal cramps.
Most of the research I have done has indicated that the brown spotting is harmless and is probably " old blood"  that is being gotten rid of. Should I book an appointment with the doctor to check it out or wait and monitor?

Phone your doctor and check just to be on the safe side.

Posted by: FTM | 2009-02-03

Hey OBC,

I had a Brownish discharge in my 5/6th week and was told by my gynae that it was either implantation (which is slightly more red / fresher blood) or previous period (old blood) coming out.

If there' s been no bad cramping and / or fresh red blood then you can chat to him about it when you see him at 8 weeks, all should be fine.

As always, if you feel worried phone him / see him... your instinct will tell you if something is wrong.

Good luck and enjoy!

Reply to FTM
Posted by: Nix | 2009-02-02

If the bleeding has stopped then it was probably just implantation bleeding and nothing to worry about. perhaps just give your doctor a call and let him know about it anyway.

Reply to Nix