Question
Posted by: anxious | 2008/08/01

BROWN BLOOD

I have chronic kidney problems - I have only one kidney and go every month for blood/urine tests. I discovered last week I picked the wrong week to go for my blood tests (I am going tomorrow) as I was due to have my period this week. Despite my gp saying its not a problem, I never like handing in my urine samples during my period week, its just me! So I handed it in Tues this week - my gp said something about the rooms test showing up nitrates - he was a bit worried at first, but the lab tests did not culture my sample so he said the results were fine. My question is I usually start my period round Wed even/Thurs of the week I have it - it only really started this am and when I went to the loo earlier I had this brown bleeding, not the normal red period flow? i have never had this before! Its not like a discharge, i.e. -|- or anything, thats all I have, no pain etc. I was 46 Wed this week and am on Melodene. I am not involved in a relationship. My gynae years ago put me on to Femodene to regulate my periods and because I had ovary cyst problems in 2000 which disappeared after a 6wk check-up and came up again 2 years later but again disappeared after another 6wk check-up! Then a few years ago he changed it to Melodene because of my age. I am on 60mg Aspavor and Prexim &  Prexim Plus. I didn' t really have a normal period last month - sometimes I have missed a do or so of the Melodone but never more than 2 days at a time. My previous cycles before June have been fine. Do I need to mention this to my gp tomorrow when I go?

I am just a bit worried. Could it be a hormonal problem or something?

Thanks for the advice.

It is most likely related to missing the Pills. It is always a good idea to mention any problems to your doctor, especially as you are seeing him anyway. Periods can be very light on Melodene but this seems to be differnt from before.

2
Posted by: anxious | 2008/08/01

Thanks Sunshine, yes that does help. We will wait to see what Doc says!

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Sunshine | 2008/08/01

Hi There

I too am on Melodene, and ever since i can remember, i also always start my period with a brown blood. It usually takes a day or so before the normal red flow starts. the question of it being normal or not never crossed my mind though cos i have always had it this way.....

Hope i set your mind at ease a bit. Anyways, it would be interesting to see gynae docs answer

Reply to Sunshine