Question
Posted by: Upset | 2009-05-18

Brother using my car

My elder brother is using my second car at the moment, since the end of January. He is 7 years older than me. I lent him the car because his got stolen about a year ago, and h was up in JHB and needed to get back to Durban (where he lives). He is now unemployed and back in JHB (without me knowing until I phoned him regarding a speed fine).

Now comes my problem. He only wanted to use the car for one month. Now I want to try and get my car back. I do not mind him using it up here while looking for a job, but I do not want him to take it back down to Durban. The car is fairly old and has a few problems which I need to sort out. I have kept the car as a hobby for myself to build up and modify. The problem is he is very over powerful, telling me when he will and how he will use the car, not caring about the fact that it is my car, carrying on as it is his car. He is not even contributing to the insurance. How do I confront him to ask him to give my car back. Am I being spiteful here or am I in the right? Just because I have two cars it doesn' t mean it is for someone else to drive around with it. I have worked hard to do this.

It is entirely understandable that you kindly lent him your car, intending this to be for a short time. For him to have kept this for so long, to have brought it back up to Joburg without your knowledge, and to be earning trafic fines too, is unacceptable.
Simply tell him that this is YOUR car, that you lent it to him for a month, and that he has kept it too long and this is causing problems. IF he starts bulying you, just stop him and calmly tell him that if he does not bring it back to you promptly, you will have no alternative but to report it to the police as a stolen car. You are entirel in the right, and not being spiteful. And if he does not return it within, say, 2 days, then go to the police, report it as stolen, and name your brother as the main suspect, having borrowed it for a month and refusing to return it. Put your demand to him to return it in writing, as well as verbally.

3

blood is thicker than water but his just using you.... its now may....5 months he' s got your car???

tell him to piss off and give your car back!!!

Posted by: Upset | 2009-05-18

I forgot to add that all my brothers are very over enpowering over me (I am the youngest), and I always end up saying yes because I then feel sorry for the oke because he has no transport etc.

Reply to Upset