Posted by: Max | 2009-07-21

Brother &  Wife need counseling

Hi Doctor,
After the birht of my brother' s little boy, his wife didn' t want anything to do with the baby, so he took over the roll as a father and the mother, now the child is 7 months old and want nothing to do with the so called mother, she keeps on telling my brother that he needs Physiological help. I think she needs it more than he does. Could you assist me in a centre where they could go for group counseling, (they stay in Johannesburg). I am just worried about the baby.

It's understandable if the mother reje ted the baby, that the baby will consider her a stranger. One should never just calmly accept that a mother emotionally or otherwise rejects her newborn child --- that is never normal, and indicates a potentially significant psychological problem, including perhaps PND, Post-natal Depression. Beyond possible doubt it is the mother who needs a shrink's help more than the child. FAMSA could suggest a family counsellor who the mother and child, plus father if possible, could see together. It is useful for the child to see a counsellor or shrink as part of the family, but obviouly at 7 months the potential for a shrink actively engaging with the child will be highly limited --- all the work to help the child would have to be done via the parents, anyway.