Posted by: Jackie | 2010-07-04

Bronchial Pneumonia

I''m 44 year old female working as a Office Administrator. Last week Wednesday 23 June, I went to work as usual. About 15h00 I started feeling sick. My chest felt funny, tight with a slight burning sensation and my voice became hoarse. My symptoms worsened by the hour, and by the time I got home I had a fever 38.6. I took 3x Disprins and got into bed.
The next morning my chest felt very tight and sore as if someone has punched me very hard between my breasts. I hate going to the doctor and would usually diagnose myself and then selfmedicate. But Thursday morning I came to the conclusion that something was wrong and that I will have to see a doctor. So I went to work as usual and got an appointment for that afternoon. Dr. D diagnosed bronchitis, gave me a prescription for antibiotics and booked me off for a week.
The following morning everything was worse  I wasn''t breathing as I should, my heart was racing and my fever wouldn''t break. I called Dr. D and explained what was happening. She instructed me to go to her immediately, she will be waiting. She took one look at me, listened to my chest, took my BP which was very high at 189/116 and diagnosed ''bronchial pneumonia''. She then made arrangements for emergency admittance.
How, why did this happen? How can I become so sick with absolutely no warning? I mean, in only 48 hours I went from being healthy as a horse, to being severly ill . X-rays shows infection in the lower/bottom lobes of both lungs. I was in hospital for five days. Except for the fact that I feel weak, out of breath and get tired very quickly, I''m fine. When Dr D discharged me, she told me to stay at home until she has seen me this coming Wednesday. Why can''t I go to work? I feel so much better and I have to get back to work.
What I want to know is why and how did I get pneumonia in the first place? Why wasn''t there any warning? Isn''t pneumonia usually a secondary complication when the primary cause (e.g. colds and flu) are neglected or left untreated? What can I do to prevent this from happening again? What can I do now to get my strenght back?

If your pneumonia was caused by a viral infection, your symptoms could exacerbate in a very short time, which will need in hospital treatment. A bacterial pneumonia can form as a complication to the viral infection. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better but please remember that it can take up to two months before all symptoms dissapear.

In the interim you can attend to your diet and eat healthy. A lot of greens. I also suggest that you supplement with Vitamin C, Selenium, Zinc and Kelp products.

I also suggest that you do not go back to work before you have consulted your doctor.