Question
Posted by: Desme Klopper | 2009-09-27

broken toe?

A week ago i bumped my pinkie toe against the coffee table, and it stood out sideways. I bandaged it up, binding it to the next toe, and as well as around the width of all the toes. I have kept it bound like this everyday + night My foot is bruised all along the outside up to the ankle, but slowly fading. Did i do the correct thing, or should it have been splinted? Thanx

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Desme

It sounds like you could have dislocated your small toe. This can happen quite easily and will take a long time to heal. You have damaged the ligaments and in these cases we normally bandage the small toe to the next toe so you've done the right thing. Ice or anti-inflammatories will help and try not to bump it again!

Chris