Question
Posted by: Worried | 2008/06/10

Broken elbow

I was in a motor vehicle accident and broke my left elbow. According to the x-rays nothing has moved and surgery isn't necessary. I'm worried that my elbow might not heel properly. The plaster of paris is coming off in two days (after only one week). Isn't this too soon? The Dr said that I have to start moving my arm after one week because its a joint. Any advice on what I should / shouldn't do, I'm really worried that my elbow will never be the same again.

Dear Worried
It sounds to me as you may have only "chipped" or "cracked" the elbow, as anything more serious they would have operated on. It is true, one does not want to immobilize a joint longer than needed but a week sounds very short to me. One of my patients had an injury where the elbow was cracked and the orthopod prescribed an armsling for 3-4 weeks. I wonder if you shouldn't just get a second opinion?