Posted by: SAM | 2009-03-25

I had a few VPL treatments on my cheeks for broken capillaries which gave very good end results. I only have a few broken capillaries on each cheek left the size of a R5 coin. The beautician at a well known pharmacy said they don' t do VPL but they do LLLT (low level laser therapy) which will also assist in elimination the capillaries. I contacted a dermatologist from the Cape region who told me that the LLLT is of no use for broken capillaries and it will not eliminate them and that I should rather go for The Cynergy Vascular Laser therapy. I take it that the last one is quite expensive and it can be uncomfortable after the treatment. What is your take on all three of these. I like the VPL but it can also get expensive. The LLLT is half the cost of the VPL but is it effective? Please can you help me with this matter? Kind regards..................

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Sam, thank you for the question.

I must agree with the dermatologist as LLLT is not indicated for vein removal and you should consider lasers that are specifically indicated for vein removal. I use Syneron’s eMax LVA applicator for facial vein removal but there is nothing stopping you in using the Cynergy machine (manufactured by Cynosure). As a rough guideline I charge per pulse used for smaller areas and one can expect to pay between R450 to R650 per session (usually 2 to 3 sessions will clear the veins).

Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) refers to the use of red-beam or near-infrared lasers with a wave-length between 600 and 1000nm power from 5–500 milliwatts. In contrast, lasers used in surgery typically use 300 watts. These lasers are nonthermal. Due to the low absorption by human skin, it is hypothesized that the laser light can penetrate deeply into the tissues where it may have a photobiostimulation effect. These types of lasers have been advocated for use in a wide range of medical conditions encompassing: wound healing; smoking cessation; tuberculosis; temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders; and a variety of musculoskeletal conditions that includes carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. LLLT may be administered by several different types of providers, including physicians, chiropractors, physical therapists, or occupational therapists.