Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/04/18

Brest feeding and needing to lose weight

Dear Doc

Since the birth of my third son 7 months ago I have been breastfeeding exclusively, but have gained 5 kg. I am not eating very healthily, but still it feels like a lot. My thyroid hormones are normal at TSH 0.59 and FT4 9.2. How can I lost weight without losing energy? My BMI is 29, so I''m entering a dangerous space.

Dear Racoon
Are you the same Reader who posted the question about Eglonyl the other day? If so, it is excellent that you have been breastfeeding you son for 7 months. This is the greatest gift a mother can give her child and it will help ensure his good health and prevent a host of problems in later life, including overweight. However, at the age of 7 months you can now introduce your son to weaning foods so that by the time he is one year old, he is eating a balanced diet and can switch to cow's milk. If your thyroid hormones are normal, then it will help if you start eating a balanced slimming diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (take baby for a walk in the fresh air every day). Please add an extra cup of fat-free milk or yoghurt to the slimming diet to ensure that you and your son obtain sufficient calcium to help him grow a strong skeleton and to maintain yours. If you are using the Eglonyl, this is probably the time when you can discuss tapering off the dose with the dr who prescribed it for you. Do NOT stop without discussing it with the dr in case it was prescribed for other reasons than to encourage milk production.

1

Dear Racoon