Posted by: A. Saunderson | 2010-04-14

Dear Sir / Madam

I want my female Boerboel to breed with the neighbour''s male Boerboel. Somebody told me that bitches can only get pregnant once the male and female get ''stuck.''

Is it true that the two dogs have to get ''stuck'' or not?

Dear A

It is normal for dogs to get stuck while mating. So yes.

Posted by: MoonBeamIsHere | 2016-07-23

How young can a boerboel get pregnant and is it possible for the mate to be a miniature pinsher?

Reply to MoonBeamIsHere
Posted by: Just my 2 cents | 2010-04-19

Over the past couple of years the boerbull breed has become a very dangerous breed due to irresponsible breeding.

The aggressive trait is being bred into the dogs and new owners don''t know how to properly train and handle such a big dog with aggressive traits.

As Jill said, most (if not all) of your pups will end up either at the SPCA, euthanized or chained up in someone''s back yard. Is this what you want for your pups?

Reply to Just my 2 cents
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-04-16

Dear A

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-04-15

What Jill said above is quite correct, but there''s more.

Are the two dogs pedigreed and registered? Have you checked out their pedigrees to ensure they are not closely related?

Have you had both dogs x-rayed for hip dysplasia?

What''s the temperament of the dogs concerned?

If you haven''t thought through all of the above - and more - please reconsider. It is a myth that bitches should have at least one litter - it is absolutely pointless, unless they are to be used to improve the breed.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Jill | 2010-04-15

Yes, dogs do get " stuck" .
Please evaluate the real reasons why you want to breed your dog with the neighbours dog? Sell pups to make some cash, want some cute pups,?????? Please go and have a look at the Welfare kennels , you find many pups available there. Around 1,000 dogs and cats are euthanased DAILY in South Africa - tooooooo many dogs for the number of people who want pets. All caused by breeding dogs - without pedigrees, without realising that you areresponsible to fnd responsible homes for all the pups. Big dogs cost money, and many people cannot afford the food for big dogs, never mind the yearly vaccinations, all the deworming, tick and flea control needed etc. Please re-think if and why you really want to breed. The chances are BIG that some of your pups will never even reach 1 year of age.

Reply to Jill