Question
Posted by: Dee | 2011-02-16

Breech baby

Hi Doc,

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and my baby has not turned.

My doctor says that the baby is unlikely to turn.

I would like to know if there is might be something wrong with the baby since he is not turning......you read some scary stuff on the internet.

If you have had an ultrasound, this would have shown any abnormalities of the baby and also if the placenta is low, two causes of persistent breech presentation.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-02-17

Posted by: Purple | 2011-02-16

No, there is nothing wrong with your baby, some babies just don''t turn.

What you can do is kneel down on your bed with your elbows and arms and hands supporting your weight and then lean forward a bit like a cat stretching. Do this two or three times a day as it sometimes give baby the space to turn.

Also try to avoid sitting in deep, comfy loung furniture, and sit on your dining room chair or an excercise ball. Walk around as much as you can as well.

Baby might just be encouraged to turn then.

You can also ask your gynae if he is willing to try to turn baby manually.

If however you are having an elective c-section, don''t worry about it, its only important if your baby has turned if you want natural birth. Some gynae''s will still let you try for a natural birth if baby is in a head up feet tucked in breech position.
If baby is however lying transverse (across your tummy) then you will have to have a c-section as birth is just not going to happen as no part of baby can engage and you just can''t give birth to a baby that is sidways.

Reply to Purple