Posted by: Ronel | 2009-07-07

I am 24 weeks pregnant with my second child, and for the past couple of weeks I have been suffering from breathlessness, sometimes it gets so bad it feels like I am going to pass out. I also get tired very quickly. I saw my doctor and he said that he could see no reason for this, then tested my blood pressure, he did not listen to my lungs or my heartbeat. The baby seems healthy, but I am afraid of the effects this will have on her. Could there be any specific reason for this? As far as I know, breathlessness and exhaustion is only common later in pregnancy.

Dear Ronel
Get a second opinion - your full blood count must be done, and you must have a heart and lung examination as well as a urine test. You could be anemic or have impaired heart muscle function.