Posted by: Zee01 | 2009-08-05

Breathing issues

My little girl of 16 months is worrying me!
She has a constant runny nose and if she gets even slighty sick, which has been about 6 times in the last 2 months, she starts using the wrong musles to breathe.
You can see her neck muscles and the muscles just under her ribs are working over time for her to be able to breathe...
We had her at our GP twice and pediatrician this week...
And they cant really give us answers.
Both considered admitting her to hospital but decided she is not sick enough..... and are getting enough oxygen....
Her breathing is fast and her heart as well.
She has had croup three times this year and although she cannot really speak, her voice sounds " hees"  the last couple of days.
The doc wants to refer us to a ENT...
What can be done to help my little girl?
Thank you for your time!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Sunet

I think you should urgently consult the ENT specialist. A hoarse voice in an infant is always abnormal. This together with severe breathing difficulties is a cause for concern. The ENT will assess the following as possible causes:
1. Enlarged adenoids causing nasal obstruction, a runny nose, persistent infections and difficulty in breathing at night. If she is snoring she is likely to have enlarged adenoids.

2. The larynx (voice box) needs to be assessed. There are many conditions and infections that can cause airway obstruction.

Go and see your ENT.