Posted by: moemfie | 2009-03-31

breathing exercise

i started running about two weeks ago. I run every second day for about 30 min.i run/walk. my legs are ok but i' m still struggling with my breathing. what or how can I improve this to make me run for longer distances.

THis is quite common. The good news is that it will come right. The bad news is that it takes time and building up your fitness is really the only way to achieve it.

It helps to be aware of your pattern of breathing though. For example, you might find that you can breathe in for two steps, out for two steps. Or maybe in 3, out 2. Depends on how fast you're going relative to your fitness.

The key about breathing is to relax and focus on depth of breathing. The easiest temptation is to pant, to try to breathe as often as possible, but it actually doesn't work and makes it worse. It's more effective to slow it down and focus on getting the air all the way down to your belly button, if you can visualize this. It's difficult in running because landing kind of forces air out, but that's why you might relax and focus on breathing smoothly and deeply. ANd slow down if you must, even if it's just for 5 minutes to practice the pattern, until you get it right.