Posted by: Jenny | 2009-02-02

Breathing Difficulty - Clogged Throat

Hi Dr Breedt

Two months ago my nose blocked up and I started coughing. At first I thought that it was a cold, however, my throat became so clogged up with phlegm that I was struggling to breath. I had to practically sit up sleeping in order to breath properly. The cough only happens occasionally, yet my one nostril remains blocked, my throat continues to feel uncomfortable, as if there is an extra piece of skin growing there, and it interferes with my breathing. I have continuous phlegm in my throat, which is not helping matters. Have I caught some kind of a virus, despite experiencing no pain in my throat at the moment.

Dear Jenny
You may have a chronic sinus infection - you probably need x/rays of the sinuses, a thorough examination of the nose and throat and may need antibiotics. Rather see a doctor.

Posted by: Jenny | 2009-03-04

Thank you for your advice. I did go to my doctor who thought that it could be something to do with acid build in my stomach (from stress) and my sinuses. However, after two weeks of tablets I find that it is still there so I am going to make an appointment with an ENT specialist and do as advised, have an X-ray. Perhaps my tonsils have grown back, I had them out over 30 years ago.

Reply to Jenny